- Positional games are those games that players must position their playing pieces in a particular alignment or configuration in order to win.
- Connection games are like positional but deal in links instead of configuration.
- Capture games where the point is to remove the opposing pieces. Also known as war games.
- Hunting games are a little different. The point in this type of game is to immobalize the opposing pieces. Some classification will lump hunting and capture games together.
- Race game involve a set position or goal to reach. Or not to reach in some games.
- Mancala type games involve collecting neutral pieces, pieces that both players can move.
- Counting games (also known as dice games) are those games involving the accumulation of points.
- Card / Domino games involve matching pieces to further or to win the game.
Types of Games
There are about 5 - 6 classes of games. I will give only a brief description to provide a starting point in designing a game.